Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Getting Crafty with toilet paper tubes

Hi Beth A here, I thought I'd do a How-to posting for my latest favorite item to keep, toilet paper tubes! I've been keeping these things for months now, knowing I wanted to make something out of them. The first thing I made was some cute necklaces for kids to make-n-take at a "green" fair back in the spring, but I'd always thought I could make some type of window screen with cut pieces. So when I was catching up on my reading of the Craft blog I saw this post about paper tube wall art, I'll admit that I didn't actually read the instructions, but I knew that I could modify the project to become my window screen. So here is how I did it:

Mine uses only 5 toilet paper tubes.


Then I picked out a paper to cover the inside and outside of the tube (white and red), cut the paper into quarters (4.25 x 5.5 inches).
I then put the cut paper into a box to spray mount them, that way the spray doesn't get on the floor. I used 3M Super 77, but a regular spray mount or even rubber cement would probably work fine.
Then roll the paper over the tube on the outside and roll it and tuck into the inside. After they are all covered with paper, cut them with regular crafts scissors into about 1/4" slices (you should get between 9-10 slices per tube) You can cut them thinner or thicker as you like. When you cut the strips they'll get a little bent, into a leaf shape.
I then arranged them in the design pattern that I liked, it took some fussing, but I wanted something asymmetrical while still somewhat rectangular to fit into my window.
I then glued each petal together with regular school glue, I tried a glue stick first but it didn't work. I did not clothes-pin them, but you may want to depending on the intricacy of your design. I glued them one at a time keeping the design intact while lifting one slice up and gluing it.

Wah-LA! You've got to attach some string to the top, and hang it wherever needs a little inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment