Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Accidents

Jen here. Thought I would share a picture of my newest creation. This was a result of trying to find something to keep me occupied while waiting for my laundry to be done at the apartment's laundromat.

I ended up with a bunch of old, scratched records from a garage sale. Don't worry, there isn't anything valuable or worth listening to in the pile, unless you really like organ and chime Christmas music :) I couldn't decide what to do with them. Melting records still seems fun but so many people use that technique. I know a lot of people also cut old records into shapes and make them into pendants but I figured it would be worth trying.

My first attempt ended up cracked. Records are pretty flexible but if you aren't careful they break. I'm certain that my next attempts at this will be with much simpler shapes. My second attempt was going well until my last cut. I ended up breaking the ears off of my rabbit. So I needed replacement ears. I looked around and didn't see anything good until I ran across some brass sheets. I knew that wouldn't crack on me :) I traced the rabbit's head on to the brass and cut out those ears. I used my flex shaft tool to drill holes in both pieces and used head pins to rivet them together.

For some reason, I drilled the hole for the jump ring to hang it from in a silly spot. It was crooked so I bent his ear to hold the ball chain and keep the rabbit upright. Not bad for a spur of the moment effort but I look forward to trying this again with a little more planning.

My saw

The mess I made while sawing


  1. Nice job! I also have a pile of old, scratched records at home (strangely also a lot of Christmas music!) and had been wondering what to do with it...